as I was plotting a healthier food lifestyle from now on in order to avoid any other health mishaps e.g. the bloody headache, and the recent flu that I've become subjected to, who was to pop her head into my bedroom, munching on a pan fried nian gao but my evil mom.
I cannot explain how much I love nian gao. But only if it's super sticky in its basic form, or otherwise pan fried. none of that hardened stuff it turns into because you left it out in the open or uncovered in the fridge nonono.
nothing can taste bad pan fried. WITH EGG. mmmmmmm. see? I told you my mom is evil. and at 7 am too.
healthy schmealthy.

see? all that oily goodness.
of course those aren't the exact ones that my mom made are youcrazywhocarriesacamera around with them 24/7 at any given time of the day it's 7 am for crying outloud.
but they look like that.
anyway.
these are nian gao pre-fried.

for those who do not know (what chinese/Malaysian person ARE you), nian gaos are cakes made of glutinous rice flour and brown sugar and legend has it, they were left as a diabolical trap for the Kitchen God to seal his mouth shut because he was being a little bitch about all the heavenly secrets he's been listening in on.
how sadistic is that? as if anyone can resist nian gao, now that's just mean.
but now it's just a traditional Chinese New Year treat directly translated as "Year High". Need I say more?
and eating them pan-fried is usually what happens to the leftover nian gao. ah clever and dirt poor chinese ppl never let food go to waste. what an innovative way to deal leftovers. fry EVERYTHING.
our nian gao was just starting to get mouldy and before chinese new year too. ah what a clever excuse to munch on the gooey, oily sticky sweet and salty treat. I hope I don't get another headache.
Happy Chinese New Year, everybody!
pictures courtesy of http://www.patchun.com.hk/english/cny_nian_gao.html and http://elanso.com/ArticleModule/U0PAJhSiS4MGJ2HvP0M6SYIi.html
No comments:
Post a Comment