Sunday, February 1, 2009

it's quite funny, this feeling inside

never have I ever imagined, that my social life here would expand to match the Friday nights in melbourne. Certainly the expansion in duration is not possible, but I'm not sure I welcome the fact that I have had to tone down my voice, purse my lips, tiptoe around in the dead of the night giggly and muddle-headed more than once this holiday. But I can't say the process of it is something that I don't look forward to *nervous smile*.

And I must say like Chinese New Year every year, the food, the atmosphere, the people and the gambling do not disappoint. The daily and nightly spur of the moment visits from long-lost friends, the flashes of red and gold and excited chatter, the whoops and cheers from a surrounding game of Black Jack and the countless reunions and gatherings remind me of how much there is to my beautiful jungle hometown. I feel fortunate to breathe in the salty sea air with every drive into town, the aroma of roadside stalls and the appearance of familiar faces with every visit to the grocer's, pointing out rather blatantly which goods look fresh and which don't, much to the dismay of the competing stallkeepers standing side by side.

Amidst the festive cheer, I'm also reminded of how much I've fallen into the trap of materialistic gratification that I've forgotten the simple joy a long-absent hug or an afternoon catching up with my family and friends holds.

I can only hope this little town stays little for a little while longer before it loses its innocence to the constraining waves of globalisation and the manipulation of the market.

No comments: